Other parts of this series:
- Celebrating Banking Innovation
- CaixaBank’s Global Innovations
- Widiba’s Wonderful Machine: Award Winner for Customer Experience
- How NBG Eliminated Banking Lineups
- DBS Bank Goes Digital Only
- Sberbank’s Smart Management System Boosts Bank Performance
- KBC Uses Blockchain to Transform International Trades
- Ayudhya Grows Auto Loans With Music Videos
- How Santander’s Payments App Boosts Transparency and Speed
- Alior Uses AI to Revolutionize Customer Service
- Banco Original’s Product Development Trick
- Banking Insight from Google, Apple, Facebook, and Amazon
- For Banks, the Future is “Phygital”
- Banks Transform Marketing With Big Data
- Banks Look To Tomorrow at the 2017 Efma-Accenture Innovation Awards
The Efma-Accenture Distribution and Marketing Innovation Awards give the industry the opportunity to evaluate and celebrate the most interesting and disruptive banking innovations. As we begin to prepare for the 2017 awards later this year, we’re looking back on the winners from last year.
No one likes standing in line. NBG decided to do something about it. To eliminate the long queues which formed at its branches on certain days of the month, the Greek bank developed its i-bank pass service, which started as a smartphone app and then spread to NBG’s website.
Whatever way it is used, the i-bank pass system looks at real-time information about current wait times at NBG branches near the customer. After the customer selects a branch, the system issues an electronic priority number to the customer based on their position in “line.” The system also notifies a customer when to head to the branch. The customer arrives “just in time,” and does not need to waste time waiting.
The system has proved a hit with customers, and has the added benefit of making life easier for bank staff as their clients are happier.
For finding an elegant solution to the problem on queues, NBG won the 2016 Efma-Accenture Distribution and Marketing Physical Distribution Award.
Come back when I’ll go over another winner from the 2016 awards. In the meantime, learn more about last year’s winners.