Other parts of this series:
- Celebrating Banking Innovation
- CaixaBank’s Global Innovations
- Widiba’s Wonderful Machine: Award Winner for Customer Experience
- How NBG Eliminated Banking Lineups
- DBS Bank Goes Digital Only
- Sberbank’s Smart Management System Boosts Bank Performance
- KBC Uses Blockchain to Transform International Trades
- Ayudhya Grows Auto Loans With Music Videos
- How Santander’s Payments App Boosts Transparency and Speed
- Alior Uses AI to Revolutionize Customer Service
- Banco Original’s Product Development Trick
- Banking Insight from Google, Apple, Facebook, and Amazon
- For Banks, the Future is “Phygital”
- Banks Transform Marketing With Big Data
- Banks Look To Tomorrow at the 2017 Efma-Accenture Innovation Awards
The Efma-Accenture Distribution and Marketing Innovation Awards give the industry the opportunity to evaluate and celebrate the most interesting and disruptive banking innovations. As we begin to prepare for the 2017 awards later this year, we’re looking back on the winners from last year.
Strong regulations and capital requirements can make launching a new banking product a slow process. But it does not have to be.
Brazil’s Banco Original is compelling proof of this. The bank developed a mobile-only banking app with an “open banking” philosophy that entered the market in just a few months. Banco Original partnered with a fintech accelerator program to build a dedicated mobile API, which let the bank avoid the expense and time of in-house IT development.
Guga Stocco, Banco Original’s Head of Strategy and Innovation, attributes the remarkable agility to an interesting management principal.
“If you have a team who’s going to build some products, their size should be no more than the number of people who you can feed with two pizzas,” Stocco said. “If you need more than two pizzas, the team is too big and you will lose the momentum.”
For developing a mobile banking solution with disruptive speed, Banco Original won the 2016 Efma-Accenture Distribution and Marketing Award for Most Disruptive Innovation.
That does it for my rundown of each winner from last year’s awards. Come back for a look at one of the industry trends that bubbled up at the event. In the meantime, learn more about last year’s winners.